New School Bus Driver Certification Process
|The following is a list of required procedures for becoming a School Bus Driver for the Transportation
Services Department of San Diego City Schools:
- Complete application for School Bus Driver.
- Successfully complete pre-employment orientation and driving history review.
- Successfully complete mandated school bus driver classroom instruction (36 hours).
- Pass required California Department of Transportation physical exam to obtain commercial instruction
- Succesfully complete CHP interview process.
- Succesfully complete CHP and district fingerprinting requirements.
- Successfully complete DMV written testing for a commercial instruction permit.
- Successfully complete pre-employment controlled substance testing.
- Successfully complete mandated behind-the wheel instruction (28 hours).
- Receive and sign completed training certificate from Safety & Training.
- Successfully complete CHP written testing.
- Successfully complete CHP driving examination.
- Receive temporary Special Driver's Certificate upon completion of background checks.
- Obtain interim commercial driver's license, properly endorsed, from DMV.
- Complete final district and department processing for employment.
- Receive a permanent commercial driver's license and special driver certificate from DMV.
|This entire process will take a minimum of six weeks.
A $300 BONUS is paid to new drivers upon completion of one hundred days
of paid employment.
Return to Driver Information